Friday, June 01, 2007

Friday fun

I'll blame Randall for this: Is this your name?
Here's some tidbits about my name:

1) My first name is ...
Origin: Spanish
Meaning:
Pretty One
(It was also much more popular in the 1940s and '50s -- you hardly ever hear of someone naming a new baby Linda.)

2) Backwards, my name is Adnil Eromlig. Interesting.

3) According to the US Census Bureau°, 1.035% of US residents have the first name 'Linda' and 0.022% have the surname 'Gilmore'. The US has around 300 million residents, so the guesstimate is there are 683 'Linda Gilmore's.

I have come across some of these other women with my name. At least a couple of them are scientists who have published extensively in the fields of educational psychology and biology. (If you Google "Linda Gilmore" you'll find them.) And for some reason, there's a Linda Gilmore on the East Coast who has used an e-mail address similar to my personal one. I've gotten e-mail for her a couple of times by mistake. I made sure the sender realized it had gone to the wrong person and I even got a thank you from the intended Linda Gilmore.

If you're looking for a way to waste some time this Friday afternoon, check out your name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I take the blame!!

:)


and I always thought the name Linda was a pretty name.