Friday, September 28, 2007

Happy Birthday Megan


Tomorrow is Megan's birthday, so I thought I'd put up a couple of pictures. She's about 2 1/2 in the picture on the left; the other was taken this summer. I think both show her personality -- smart and sassy and strong. We've had our issues over the years, but she's grown up to be lovely young woman (in spite of all the mistakes I've made) and I'm so proud of her. God is doing a good work in her.

I'm going to tell a Megan-story. She learned to walk when she was about 10 1/2 months old -- it was shear determination. She would stand up and stagger drunkenly across the floor after Julia and John. She'd fall down, then pick herself up again and take off. There was no way she was going to be left behind. Not long after she learned to walk we were in a waiting room at the hospital and she was toddling around tapping on things, with her pacifier in her mouth. She wasn't talking yet (though it wouldn't be long), but she understood everything we said. An older lady spoke to her in that condescending tone some grown-ups use with little kids. She pointed at Megan's pacifier and said "Can I have that?" Megan gave her a perfectly dead-pan look, took her pacifier out of her mouth, and held it out to her. I'm sure she was thinking something like "well if you really want it lady ..." I don't think the poor woman knew what to think.

Whatever is ahead of her, I know her determination and sense of humor, as well as her reliance on God, will stand her in good stead.

Now that I've thoroughly embarrassed her, I'll say "Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!"

1 comment:

MeganBritt said...

If only I still looked cute in yellow crop tops... ;)