Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Running the game of life, and football

I ended up having an extra day of holiday due to the national day of mourning for President Ford, so I watched the funeral on TV. It was very nice -- the ceremony was dignified and fitting a former president, but not theatrical. I've always admired President Ford. He became president just before I started my senior year of high school. It was a tough time to be president and I don't think we as a nation appreciated how helpful it was to have an honest, open man of integrity in the White House. The eulogies for him today reminded me of that.

Last night we watched the Fiesta Bowl, where Boise State defeated Oklahoma in overtime. Wow! What a game! Sure Oklahoma's in the Big 12, but I was cheering for Boise State. I was really impressed with how Boise State's quarterback handled himself under pressure.

And how about those Chiefs? I liked what Coach Edwards is reported to have said at the press conference after the Chiefs made the playoffs for the first time in a long time. He said it wasn't luck that got the Chiefs there. He said four teams played Sunday, at home, that had to win to have any chance at the playoffs. The Chiefs won their game, the others lost. So what do they get for winning? A date with the Indianapolis Colts. And I'm sure Herm Edwards will tell them to play to win.

No comments: