Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Whose life is it, anyway?

So I see in the news today that Terry Schiavo's parents are petitioning another judge to have Terry's feeding tube reinserted. More media circus, more rehashing of the sad circumstances of this story. Despite what my choice of title for this entry may indicate, I may be the only person in America who doesn't have a clear opinion on this case. And why not? Because I don't really know enough about it. And neither does anyone else, but that doesn't stop people from stating their opinions as if they were indisputable facts. Terry's family (both her husband and her parents) have let this case be played out on the national stage, where it's been co-opted by pundits from both ends of the political spectrum. It may have once been about Terry's life; now it's about politics and money and a family fight that should have been resolved years ago. What truly saddens me is, whatever the outcome, no one really wins.

After I posted this earlier today, I was browsing a couple of blogs I read and found a link to a good opinion piece. The blog is JCF Online - The Word Foundry and the opinion piece is by Peggy Noonan. I agree with JCF that Noonan is an excellent writer. She raises issues worth thinking about. I, too, believe that since life is from God, it is precious. If it was my child, would I want to give up? I don't know. I hope that I would be able to let God do his work, whether it be healing or not.

No comments: