Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Loud music and a few good words

The last couple of free-download-of-the-week songs I got from iTunes: -- Get Stoned by an Oklahoma City band called Hinder, and Through the Iris, by a band called 10 Years. They're satisfyingly loud. I really like them.

Tomorrow I will be 48 years old. Many people my age no longer like loud music, or maybe they just don't want to admit they like loud music. After all, we're the generation that came of age to the Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, and (name your favorite hard rocking band here). But whatever it is inside me that loves loud music didn't just disappear when I turned 40. It's still there and I'm not just stuck in the classic rock era, either. Here's the list of songs I was just listening to. It's a playlist I call Rock Steady:

Through the Iris by 10 Years (The Autumn Effect)
Fire Woman by The Cult (Pure Cult - The Singles 1984-1995)
Jumpin' Jack Flash by The Rolling Stones (Hot Rocks 1964-1971)
Get Stoned by Hinder (Single)
I'll Stick Around by Foo Fighters (Foo Fighters)
Evil Ways by Santana (Santana)
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana (Nevermind)
She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult (Love Rock)
Rockin' In the Free World by Neil Young (Neil Young: Greatest Hits)
Ohio by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (So Far)
Won't Get Fooled Again (Full Length Version) by The Who (My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who)
Bang a Gong (Get It On) [Single/LP Version] by T. Rex (Electric Warrior (Remastered))
Any Way You Want It by Journey (Journey: Greatest Hits)
Slow Ride by Foghat (1970's Classic Rock)
Kickstart My Heart by Mötley Crüe (Dr. Feelgood)
Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet (Single)
Rattlesnake by Bride (Snakes In the Playground)
Don't Stop Believin' by Journey (Escape)
Even Flow by Pearl Jam (Rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991-2003))

This not by any means a complete list of loud songs in my collection. There are just times when only loud music will do. I don't know how else to explain it. You may think of me what you will, but I suspect I'll still like loud music no matter what age I am.

I will close with a few good words (with apologies to Albus Dumbledore):
sublime (I love that Tom Petty got that word into Runnin' Down a Dream)
bizarre
tad
lurking (as in "The man lurking in the doorway looked a tad bizarre.")
smite/smote (I knew I would like Peace Like a River when Lief Enger got the word smote into the first chapter.)
ubiquitous

3 comments:

MD Brauer, MD said...

Linda!
48, tomorrow. You are so old!
I won't be 48 for another two weeks!
And my music is definitely softer, I prefer Ramble On by Led Zeppelin, and anything loud by U2. But my all time favorite is Suite for Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby Stills, Nash, and Young

lindaruth said...

If it's exactly two weeks (the 29th), you share a birthday with my daughter Megan.
And I love Ramble On and Suite Judy Blue Eyes, too, but Ohio rocks. :)
Linda

MD Brauer, MD said...

The 23rd