Friday, January 26, 2007

'I won't back down'

I was walking back to my office from the gym today and bemoaning the miserable state of my physical fitness -- when I take a day off between walking, it's like I'm starting all over again. And that led to thoughts of the miserable state of my writing life. OK, maybe miserable is too strong, but I've been very undisciplined. If I'm ever going to make progress, I need to be writing every day, or at least more days than I am. And then one of my favorite songs came on -- "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I tend to think of it as my theme song because it's about standing firm, sticking to what you know is right, no matter what. I'm such a wimp I need the encouragement. (Maybe it's an odd choice for a theme song, but I've always like Tom Petty's songs and they keep me moving.) So, even though my legs hurt and some days I can't get in a good walk, I'm going to keep at it. And somehow I'm going to carve out some writing time for myself.

Well I won't back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

No I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin me down
gonna stand my ground
... and I won't back down

Chorus:
(I won't back down...)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(and I won't back down...)
hey I will stand my ground
and I won't back down
(I Won't Back Down, by Tom Petty)

No comments: