Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The 70s want me ...

Today I was reminded on all sides that I graduated from high school a long time ago. First, I was contacted by a person from my high school class about our 30-year reunion. I remember the girl -- we lived in the same small town that fed into our consolidated high school (out in a corn field in southern Indiana). It did not surprise me that she has a Nascar-related e-mail name. Griffin seemed to be a haven for guys who had cool muscle cars -- Firebirds, Camaros, Mustangs. I dated a guy named Pup Jesse and he drove a 1967 Firebird with an 8-track tape player. He introduced me to The Doors and I will be forever indebted.

Then, this afternoon I read this post over at The Master's Artist. It's actually an excellent post, but the comments were more related to bad songs from the 70s. Are aging baby boomers pathetic? I suppose so, but this is who we are. And now I have "My Eyes Adored You" (one of my least favorite songs of all time) stuck in my head. Thanks Michael.

For more reflections on the 70s, you can read this. Otherwise, I'm done.

1 comment:

Susan Kaye said...

Thanks for the link, Linda.

I don't think those of us who indulge in bad 70s music are pathetic, I think that as cotton is the fabric of our lives, music is the soundtrack that forces us to remember the youth and innocence and idiocy of those days.

Those songs meant something at the time. They touched something in us and just like fiction, if it reminds us of our humanity, I have to think that's a good thing. (Okay, not all stuff that reminds us of our humainty is good, but I think you get my point.)

Take care.