Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Navel gazing or what?

Here's a good quote:
It seems to me that the problem with diaries, and the reason that most of them are so boring, is that every day we vacillate between examining our hangnails and speculating on cosmic order. ~Ann Beattie, Picturing Will, 1989

This struck me because of this blogging thing I do now. I find I like to post entries to my blog. It's almost a compulsion. A blog I read fairly regularly pondered this question and that's what got me thinking about it.

So why DO I write for my blog? I've discovered that I like getting comments. (Of course, so far, people have said nice things.) I think I like exercising my voice. I think it helps me clarify my thoughts. I've always wanted to write a regular column, but never had the chance. I suppose it's rather self-indulgent, but it's also good practice. I know I careen wildly back and forth between serious thoughts on writing and random thoughts on life. I figure at some point I'll mature as a blogger and be more consistent. But so far, this is fun.

No comments: