Monday, May 23, 2005

What's your theme song?

Have there ever been songs that you could call the theme songs of your life? I think I've had several. When I was in high school and was pining after a certain former boyfriend, it was "Sledgehammer" by Bachman Turner Overdrive ("You're like a sledgehammer, baby, always beatin' on my mind..."). It was satisfyingly loud.

And I've always loved certain hymns: "Great is Thy Faithfulness," "My Hope Is Built." God often brings hymns to mind that remind me of his goodness and point my attitude in a better direction.

But one song that I've been able to identify with as I worked toward my graduate degree and then started writing is "Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty. ("I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around, and I'll keep this world from draggin' me down, gonna stand my ground, and I won't back down." "Well I know what's right, I got just one light, in a world that keeps on pushin' me around, gonna stand my ground...) I like to sing along (if I'm alone) and then I always feel encouraged to keep trying.

So, what's your theme song?

And here's a reading tip ...
One of my regular stops in the blogosphere is Brenda Coulter's blog, No rules. Just write.
(Thanks to Brenda, who is a big Terry Teachout fan, I've also discovered his blog where he writes about the arts and makes rather interesting observations about writing and life, as well.) But back to Brenda, who does her own interesting writing about the writer's life. I must confess, though, that I've never read any of her books, because I've never been a big inspirational romance fan. But, life is all about new experiences, right? And I like her voice. So I may have to broaden my reading horizons.

1 comment:

Brenda Coulter said...

Linda, thanks for mentioning my blog. You're a peach.