Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday news and views

I watched V for Vendetta this weekend. It's a very good movie and I am in awe of Hugo Weaving's ability as an actor. He brought the character of V to life, even though he played behind a mask the whole movie. Amazing. This is a thought-provoking story, maybe a little heavy-handed, but still good. It's the kind of movie that stays with you. And if you think it's just another comic book adventure story full of fights and gore, think again. There is surprisingly little gore, though there are a couple of nifty explosions, and the action is as much psychological as physical. Definitely worth renting.

I've read some interesting things today that relate to my continuing effort to figure out what it means to be a Christian writer. This discussion at Faith in Fiction is relevant, as is this column by Dick Staub. I think that being a Christian writer (or artist of any sort) means different things to different people. But I think, for me, being a Christian writer is more about using the gifts God has given me to be the best writer I can be than about writing with a specific evangelical agenda, or ministry. While you're out and about the blogosphere, read the iMonk's commentary on Christians and the culture war. It's relevant (at least for me) to this whole issue.

2 comments:

Jim Coonce said...

You know I was thinking I would rent "V" this week while Steph is in Jamaica! Glad hear your comments. Focus on the Family amazingly doesn't completely bash...I was surprized.

lindaruth said...

It's a well-done movie. There is a fight scene near the end that's a little gory, but not worse than, say, The Lord of the Rings. I liked the movie a lot.