Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Bargains!

I went to CD Tradepost (motto: Where Being Used Is a Good Thing) yesterday and hit the jackpot. They had VHS tapes for $2 each and I scored some classic Star Trek episodes: The Trouble with Tribbles, The City on the Edge of Forever, A Piece of the Action, I Mudd, and (in a 2 episode tape) Amok Time and This Side of Paradise. S0 last night I fired up the used VCR we got a garage sale this summer and watched some Star Trek. Good times. I may have to see how long this sale lasts and get some more episodes.

I also found three cds by The Choir, including their live album Let it Fly. Very fun. And I found a cd I'd listened to in Julia's car -- Consent to Treatment by Blue October. This is one of their older cds I think, but I really like it. Good hard-driving rock with some blues and other elements thrown in. If you look at the lyrics without hearing the songs (or look at the weird album art) you might think this would be a real bummer of an album -- many of the songs are about struggles with addiction and recovery, mental illness, broken relationships (and include some gritty language) -- but you would be wrong. There's a lot of hope here and the tunes are surprisingly melodic and catchy. They've got a new cd out, too, that sounds interesting. Blue October is probably not the most radio-friendly band, but to me that's a point in their favor.

4 comments:

Mike Duran said...

Wow, I love used CD stores! Half my collection is "second hand." I'll definitely be checking this site out. Thanks for the link, Linda!

Mikesell said...

Love the used CDs; first section I stop at when thrifting. Then books (snagged a like-new McKee's Story for under $10 over the weekend).

Walmart currently has some goodies in the $4.88 DVD bin. Picked up Clash of the Titans, Poltergeist, and Little Shop of Horrors (the musical) yesterday. Probably means new "SuperMegaUltimate" editions are coming out soon, though...

MeganBritt said...

Scot McKnight is hounding me about when he may have met you... have you ever met him, or just met him through blogging?

lindaruth said...

I don't think I've ever met him in person. I saw a picture of him and he didn't look anything like I expected, so I'm pretty sure we've never met face-to-face. But I suspect we hang around some of the same blogs and I have left a comment a time or two at his blog. And he knows I'm your mom.