Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Feel like a sandwich?

I'm not referring to the delicious turkey sandwich I just finished. I'm talking about parents getting older. Terry Teachout's post today made me think more about this. I talked to my mom last night -- she had the cataract on her right eye removed yesterday and the one on her left eye will be removed next week. A few weeks ago she had surgery on her wrist for carpal tunnel problems and she recently hurt her knee, but that doesn't look like it will need surgery. They both have an assortment of chronic ailments that slow them down physically. The truth is, they're showing their age. I don't know why that surprises me.

But I have a lot to be thankful for, too. They're able to be active and they're sharp and involved in life. Mom still works in the church office and Dad, though retired, still stays busy. But they're 500 miles away and it would be nice to be able to look in on them from time to time. But we still have kids at home and we have jobs and it's hard to get away. I feel guilty even saying that, but it's true. So far, there's no way around this, but maybe someday ...

No comments: