Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Books I'm looking forward two, part 2

First a little update on yesterday's post: I got an e-mail from Gina this morning that said I'm one of the lucky winners of an autographed copy of Forgiving Solomon Long. Whoo-hoo! I hardly ever win anything, so this is cool. (My son Tim is the one who wins stuff in our family -- he has actually won two, yes two, TVs. And he's still in high school. Long story, lucky kid.)

Now on to today's subject, which happens to be Waking Lazarus, by first-time novelist T.L. Hines. Tony is letting his (future) readers in on the book publishing process with his innovative Web site, The Other Side. You can sign up and participate in forums, contests and walk with Tony along the road to publication. He calls it an "open source approach." I call it cool. When I signed up, I got a preview of the opening chapters and I was really impressed. Tony is a good writer -- what I read was suspenseful and a little spooky, but not too spooky (I have a low heebie-jeebie threshold, believe me).

So what's it about? Here's the synopsis from Tony's site:

Jude Allman has died three times. Jude Allman has returned to life three times. His three Near-Death Experiences (NDEs) have made him a cult celebrity: he has a bestselling autobiography, talk show appearances, even a TV Movie of the Week.

But the bright spotlight of fame has also made him increasingly paranoid--paranoid enough to change his identity and hide in Montana. Six years after his disappearance, a stranger shows up on Jude’s doorstep with a startling claim. She tells him he is a prophet of God, a modern Moses.

But Jude doesn't feel like a prophet. He feels his own paranoia deepening, and he's having blackouts while children around him become an abductor’s prey. Yet he soon discovers he has the key to stopping the kidnapper--hidden inside the past he's tried so hard to forget.

Can he unravel the mysteries of his own deaths and find the missing children?

Think it sounds intriguing? So do I. So I'm looking forward to this book, which will come out this summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Linda - Thanks for the kind words! As you might imagine, I'm looking forward to the book, too. :)