Tuesday, January 24, 2006

What I've been up to

I've had a busy few days, so here's a little catch-up:

Friday evening and Saturday we had a worship seminar at church led by Jonathan Dow of Aldersgate Renewal Ministries. We had folks from several area churches and it was an excellent weekend. (Aldersgate is affiliated with the United Methodist church, by the way.) He led us in a lot of worship and modeled the things he was teaching. He got into some of the nuts and bolts of worship leading, but a lot of the weekend was devoted to the foundation and heart of worship -- the Biblical underpinnings and having your heart right with God before you ever get up in front of the congregation. It was excellent.

I spent some time with my husband. (Always a good thing.) We went out to eat for our anniversary Saturday night, then to his company Christmas party Sunday evening (yes, I know it's a month late, but it was a free dinner, so I won't complain). And we watched the Steelers trounce the Broncos Sunday afternoon. Very good game, though maybe a little less exciting than the Steelers/Colts game the week before. But the two teams I wanted are in the Super Bowl. Now I have to decide who I'm going to cheer for. This is a bit of a dilemma, you see. Because I like the Steelers, but Mike Holmgren (coach of the Seahawks) is a Covenanter. I think I'll have to give this some thought.

Yesterday, the President (yes, that President), spoke here for a Landon Lecture and I attended. Let's just say I have mixed feelings about some of this administration's policies, but I'm not going to pass up the chance to hear a President speak -- it's history. So I went and it was interesting. It's always interesting to watch the people at something like this, and it was even more so yesterday because of all the media and the state and local officials who were there. The speech was OK, though he didn't say anything especially new or unexpected. I will express one thought I've had about the speech, and then I'm done -- when politicians make repeated use of a word, the purpose often seems to be to divert one's attention from a condition that is just the opposite. We heard the word "liberty" a lot yesterday. Just something to think about.

1 comment:

Pilgrim said...

Wow, that is something, to hear the President in person.
I do question why so many Christians seem to support what he does because he is a fellow Christian. Is this logical?
They can't apply that practice consistently, outside of politics. Why do they do it at the Presidential level, where the ramifications of error are so much more pronounced?
Having said that, I voted for him. But going into Iraq was a mistake.