Wednesday, October 05, 2005

November is coming!

And why would I be excited about November? Because it's NaNoWriMo (or National Novel Writing Month). The goal is to write a novel -- at least 50,000 words -- in 30 days. You can sign up anytime from Oct. 1 to Nov. 25 (for the optimistic) for this year's contest. You don't really win anything except the satisfaction of having written something, but you might also have the first draft of a novel under your belt. This is really good for people who spend way too much time agonizing over every word or continually edit and never make much progress -- someone like me. So I signed up yesterday. I even have an idea for a novel I want to write. I may or may not post excerpts as November progresses. And I'm not the only one who is going to tackle the task -- 42,000 people signed up last year. Some of the folks over at Faith in Fiction are also signing up. Should be lots of fun!

8 comments:

Julana said...

No plot? No problem.
Makes me laugh.

Grant Randall said...

Hello, I'm a 1L in your daughter's class. She told us about how active her mom was--and we ended up on your blog. very nice

Julia is doing well. She can get a little out of control at times, but i'll try to keep her in line for you : )

lindaruth said...

Well, welcome Grant. This is very cool. :)

lindaruth said...

Julana, Part of the fun (as I see it) is just letting go and writing. Once it's done, I can go back and clean it up.

Usually I write rather slowly -- I spend too much time cleaning up before I'm even finished with the thing. What I'm hoping is that making myself hit a set word count every day will help my self-discipline (which is sadly lacking most of the time -- remember, I'm a woman with six kids :) ).

So we'll see what happens. I'm not going to kick myself if I don't hit 50,000 words, but I'll bet I can do it. :)

Lori said...

I participated last year for the first time. I got to 26,000 words, which I was very happy with. It was tremendous fun just "going with the flow." I'm hoping to get closer to 50,000 this year!

Julana said...

You go, girl!

David Bridger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David Bridger said...

Sorry about that - moony moony speiling mustakes trying to type in the daak. What I was saying was...

Ah, we share the same writing style. I like polishing everything to a high gleam too, but it can be a problem moving on with the story, can't it? We'll cheer each other on!