Wednesday, October 05, 2005

November is coming!

And why would I be excited about November? Because it's NaNoWriMo (or National Novel Writing Month). The goal is to write a novel -- at least 50,000 words -- in 30 days. You can sign up anytime from Oct. 1 to Nov. 25 (for the optimistic) for this year's contest. You don't really win anything except the satisfaction of having written something, but you might also have the first draft of a novel under your belt. This is really good for people who spend way too much time agonizing over every word or continually edit and never make much progress -- someone like me. So I signed up yesterday. I even have an idea for a novel I want to write. I may or may not post excerpts as November progresses. And I'm not the only one who is going to tackle the task -- 42,000 people signed up last year. Some of the folks over at Faith in Fiction are also signing up. Should be lots of fun!

6 comments:

Pilgrim said...

No plot? No problem.
Makes me laugh.

Grant Randall said...

Hello, I'm a 1L in your daughter's class. She told us about how active her mom was--and we ended up on your blog. very nice

Julia is doing well. She can get a little out of control at times, but i'll try to keep her in line for you : )

lindaruth said...

Well, welcome Grant. This is very cool. :)

lindaruth said...

Julana, Part of the fun (as I see it) is just letting go and writing. Once it's done, I can go back and clean it up.

Usually I write rather slowly -- I spend too much time cleaning up before I'm even finished with the thing. What I'm hoping is that making myself hit a set word count every day will help my self-discipline (which is sadly lacking most of the time -- remember, I'm a woman with six kids :) ).

So we'll see what happens. I'm not going to kick myself if I don't hit 50,000 words, but I'll bet I can do it. :)

Lori said...

I participated last year for the first time. I got to 26,000 words, which I was very happy with. It was tremendous fun just "going with the flow." I'm hoping to get closer to 50,000 this year!

Pilgrim said...

You go, girl!