Monday, October 17, 2005

Posting joyfully

Retreat was wonderful. There is no better way to describe it. Our numbers were down, but the 80 or so women who came were treated to perfect weather, good fellowship and powerful messages from our speaker, Lisa Orris. God was there -- of course, he always is, but sometimes we don't pay attention. We payed attention this time.

So I come back today, start reading blogs and discover I've been tagged again. Because last week Val tagged me and I knew but I didn't do it (I'm sorry. Really.). But the game today is about looking up the word "joy" on your blog and telling something about it. So I did the search and I have written about joy before. And what I wrote then seems appropriate today, somehow. Being coordinator of this women's retreat has forced me out of my comfort zone to some extent. I was afraid that I wasn't doing it very well. And maybe I didn't, but God did. The details came together in such a way that I know it had to be God. And I feel great joy in knowing that I don't have to be perfect. My very wise husband told me one night a week or so ago when I was stressing about retreat details that if you are doing what God wants you to, you won't fail. I thought I could argue with that, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. I'm not talking about success in the world's eyes -- but in God's eyes, if I'm where he wants me to be, then I won't be a failure. And he will honor the work I do for him.

Remember the old hymn "There is joy in serving Jesus"? Here's the chorus:
There is joy, joy
Joy in serving Jesus
Joy that throbs within my heart
Every moment, every hour
As I draw upon His power
There is joy, joy
Joy that never shall depart

There's a lot of truth there. The joy doesn't come from doing what I want, but in being in God's will; drawing on his power, not my own.

So now I'm supposed to tag five people:
Chris
Pat
Dee
Katy
Julana

Have fun!

3 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Thank you Lindaruth. Oh boy. Have I written about joy? Must be time. :-)

Mikesell said...

Done!

Oh, dear. We seem to have double-teamed Katy (I have her as Kathleen). Hopefully she'll understand she doesn't have to be "it" twice.

--Chris (dFm)

Valerie Comer said...

Good girl, Linda; I'm checking up on you! You're right though. There is a lot of joy in stretching ourselves in His image.