Monday, October 31, 2005

Ready, Set ...

Tomorrow is the first day of November. We all know what that means ... NaNoWriMo is here! (If I can figure out how to post the logo, I will.) I've got an outline, I've got a calendar, I've got a plan. Now all I have to do is sit down and write.

I've been reading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, an excellent and entertaining book about writing. She says a lot of things that others say, too, but she says it so well and it inspires me and encourages me. And one of the things she says is that you have to sit down and write, at least a little bit, every day. So that's what I want from this month. To develop better discipline to sit down and write something every day.

For further inspiration, let me direct you to Chris Well's Sightings blog. Today he has an interview with J. Mark Bertrand, the first in a series of interview with successful NaNo participants. Mark offers some good suggestions for making it through the month, though I'm not sure about the whole boar hunt analogy. Maybe it's a guy thing. But you'll want to check in the rest of this week to see the other interviews with Chris Mikesell and Kevin Hendricks.

Speaking of Chris (M., otherwise known as der Fieldenmarshal), he bursts upon the publishing world this month with an article in The Wittenburg Door, "God's Creation Blog." Absolutely hilarious. Don't read this while eating. Or drinking. In fact, you should probably make sure there are no potentially hazardous items anywhere near your computer while you read it. (He also shared a bit of his cover letter for the article, too, at the Faith in Fiction discussion board.)

2 comments:

Mikesell said...

Thanks, Linda. I'm proud to be fostering a new generation of bulimics nation- if not worldwide. Also, anything I can do to help out the DeVry and Sally-Struthers-computer-repair correspondence course graduates--I'm always glad to help.

--Chris (dFm)

Pilgrim said...

On your mark!
Enjoy. :-)