Thursday, June 23, 2005

Peace Like a River

Last night I finished Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. It's an amazing book and I highly recommend it. The story just flows and, though it seems to ramble at times, it's always going somewhere. The language is beautiful and the characters are distinct and finely drawn. You gotta love a writer who can get the word "smote" into the first chapter of a book.

This is a book written by a believer, about believers, but the faith in the book flows from the characters and the situations. It's not forced, even though miracles wait around every corner. It doesn't preach, people aren't perfect, but they are genuine and their faith sustains them through a difficult time. This is what I want to do with my writing, but I obviously have a long way to go!

No comments: