Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Walking

Several things lately have reminded me that when we talk about a "walk of faith" we're really talking about a journey. We don't stand still -- at least not for long. We have to keep moving. Sometimes it's a slow walk, sort of a saunter. Other times we run along the road, in a hurry to get to where God is leading us.

A man came through my home town the other day. (Note: Because of the way my hometown paper does its Web page, scroll down to the story titled "Sojourner gathers attention, converts.") I had actually seen him walking along the road on Sunday afternoon, dressed like someone playing Jesus in a passion play. And the next day, when he got to town, I didn't go looking for him. I figured he was probably not playing with a full deck. And maybe he isn't, but after reading the story in the local paper, maybe he's just someone God has called to a different kind of journey than mine. It reminds me that I am often too quick to judge, too quick to dismiss people who express their faith differently than I do.

I've been reading Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott this week. Here's another person whose walk of faith doesn't look a lot like mine. I find it easier to accept, though, probably because she's a good writer and makes it so interesting. But I know that some people find her views and life unsettling.

But reading her thoughts on life and faith reminds me that God starts with us where we are and then moves us to where he wants us to be. It takes time. Speaking personally, it seems to me that God may be trying to move us to a new phase of our walk with him. I'm not sure where we're headed, but I know something else about walking with Him. We won't be walking alone.

1 comment:

Valerie Comer said...

What an interesting idea he has! And like you, I wouldn't have approached him either. It's cool that so many people have! wow.